Top 10 Famous Outlaws
A list of 10 Famous Outlaws
- Billy The Kid (1859-1881) It is said he killed 21 people, for each year of his life. This included his first killing at the age of 12. He was convicted of four murders, including 2 officers of the law.
- Butch Cassidy. Butch Cassidy led a notorious gang includinging Kid Curry and the Sundance Kid. They became famous for the huge sums they managed to steal over $200,000.
- Robin Hood (13th Century) A famous legend of an outlaw who - "stole from the rich and gave to the poor" - fighting the Sheriff of Nottingham. Difficult to know how much is legend and how much is true.
- Sam Bass (1851-1878) - held up Trains in Texas taking a huge haul of cash
- Thomas Dun - An outlaw in Bedforshire, England robbing travellers on the Great North Road. Escaped justice for 20 years, in part because of sympathies of the local peasants who Dun was generous to.
- Henry Plummer (1832-1864). Henry Plummer became a sheriff in Montana and helped to clean up crime in the area. All crime except a notorious highway robbery gang who Henry Plummer was the secret leader of. Eventually caught, Henry was sent to the gallows.
- Juro Janosik (1690-1713) - Described as the Slovak Robin Hood. He served in the Hapsburg army before deserting and becoming leader of a bandit gang who stole from Hapsburg officials distributing some to local peasants.
- Jesse James (1847-1882) On outbreak of civil war, Jesse James joined a confederate guerrila army which terrorised the north. After the war, Jesse James led a gang which made many bank robberies, before being shot by a fellow gang member seeking the high price on Jesse James' head.
- Bonnie and Clyde - A pair of lovers who became famous in depression hit America as they travelled through America holding up banks and being involved in man.
- Dick Turpin. Famous English highwayman.
Perma Link | By: T Pettinger |