Top 10 Great Explorers
- Christopher Columbus (1451 – 20 May 1506) Said to be the first Westerner (apart from Viking exploration) to come to the new World of the American continent. Initiated widespread contact with native Indians.
- Sir Ernest Shackleton - (1874–1922) Antarctic explorer who attempted to cross the Antarctic from one side to the other via the South Pole.
- Captain James Cook - (1728 – 14 February 1779) The great 18th Century explorer and adventurer who joined the British navy and made great progress in mapping the Pacific Islands and the continent of Australasia.
- Captain Scott - Antarctic explorer -Great Antarctic explorer who explored the Antarctic extensively. Became the second person to reach the south pole on his tragic last mission in 1912.
- Sir Edmund Hilary. With Sherpa Tensing, Sir Edmund Hilary became the first person to climb Mount Everest.
- David Livingstone - explored the heart of the African subcontinent. Becoming the first westerner to come across the Victoria Falls
- Sir Francis Drake, 1542-1596 - Made the first successful circumnavigation of the world by boat.
- Sir Walter Raleigh, (1554-1618) During his own lifetime, Walter Raleigh (Raleigh) was one of the best-known men in England. He was a courtier, politician, soldier, seaman, explorer, businessman, philosopher, historian and poet.
- Marco Polo (c. 1254 – January 8, 1324) Made legendary exploration through Acre, into China and to the Mongol court.
- Alexander the Great - Led his army over Asia into heart of India
Perma Link | By: T Pettinger |