John Lennon Facts
- John Winston Lennon was born in Liverpool to Julia Lennon after 30 hours of labour on October 9, 1940 during a German air raid.
- John was inspired to become a popstar by listening to the music of Elvis Presley.
- Without glasses, John was legally blind.
- John loved cats, owning several at different times.
- John formed his first band, The Quarrymen in 1956.
- John didn't want George Harrison in The Quarrymen, at first, because he was too young.
- John Lennon married Cynthia Powell on August 23, 1962, after finding out she was pregnant.
- John and Yoko first met in 1966.
- On the road, John would room with George Harrison, and Paul McCartney would room with Ringo.
- John became increasingly interested in politics, and his music had a political slant.
- John spent time with the Yogi Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in India.
- John Lennon became embroiled in controversy on a visit to the US, after he was quoted as saying 'the Beatles were bigger than Jesus Christ'. It led to many record burnings in the South of US.
- In November 1968, John divorced his first wife Cynthia.
- John and Yoko were married in March, 1969.
- John ate very little after a reporter labelled him "the fat Beatle" in 1965.
- The Beatles broke up in 1970, they are estimated to have sold more than a billion records worldwide.
- John drank 20 to 30 cups of tea or coffee every day.
- John frequently chose to wear no clothing, even when he had visitors in his home.
- John Lennon released his solo album 'Imagine' in 1971. It has frequently been voted most popular song in the world.
- By 1978, John Lennon weighed only 130 pounds compared to over 165 pounds earlier in year.
- Mark Chapman shot John as he was walking into his apartment building around 10:50 p.m. on Monday, December 8, 1980. He had signed his autograph for Mark Chapman six hours earlier.
- Yoko had John's body cremated on Wednesday, December 10, 1980.
John Lennon Imagine
Perma Link | By: T Pettinger |