Random Interesting Facts
French subway stations aren't usually used as parking places
- Coca Cola was invented by John Pemerton in 1886. It used to be made from coca leaves and could contain traces of cocaine (from 0.1% to 0.9% depending on where grown) Though it is no longer made with cocaine.
- The Guinness World Record for holding the most Guinness Records is set by Ashrita Furman. Ashrita has set - 303 - official Guinness Records since 1979 and currently holds - 121 (sept 2010)
- A googol is a large number. the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeros: 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
- TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
- The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
- The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.
- There are more than 1,700 references to gems and precious stones in the King James translation of the Bible.
- The bagpipe was originally made from the whole skin of a dead sheep.
- No piece of normal-size paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
- 2,520 can be divided by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 without having a fractional leftover
- It is unknown if odd perfect numbers exist
- A perfect number is a number whose divisors add up to itself such as 28: 1+2+4+7+14=28
- 5% of the world population lives in the US but 22% of the world's prisons population are held in the US.
- If you walk outside George Orwell's old house in London you are now captured on surveillance cameras 33 times.
- In Chinese the words for 'crisis' and 'opportunity' are the same.
- The Netherlands has the highest rate of cycling with an average of 2.5 Km per day per person. In the US, this rate is 0.1 Km per person. In the UK 0.2Km (cycling facts)
- The Rhubarb Triangle is a small area in West Yorkshire between Wakefield, Morley and Rothwell. At one time, the 'Rhubarb triangle' produced 90% of the world's forced winter rhubarb. (Yorkshire Facts)
- Everything weighs one per cent less at the equator.
- The mosquito has killed more human beings than any other animal.
- Birmingham(UK) has 22 more miles of canals than Venice.
- 9 out of every 10 living thing lives in the ocean.
- Honey is the only food that does not spoil. Honey found in the tombs of Egyptian Pharoahs has been tasted by archaeologists and found edible.
- HThere have been over 2,00 known nuclear bomb explosions since World War Two.
- A snail's reproductive organs are in it's head.
- An adult giraffe´s kick is so powerful it can decapitate a lion.
- The largest toy distributor in the world is Mcdonalds.
- The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and Britain in 1896.Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.
- Each king in a pack of playing cards represents a great king from history: Spades-King David , Clubs-Alexander the Great ,Hearts-Charlemagne and Diamonds-Julius Caesar.
A random photo I took in Oxfordshire.
More bizarre facts try: Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Extraordinary Book of Facts: And Bizarre Information (Bathroom Readers)
Perma Link | By: T Pettinger |